Meeting cousins often involves some drama. Over who shouts louder or jumps higher. Or goes first, or stops last, or decides what comes next, or argues with the decision. Lots of fun and lots of drama.
I'm often asked, what do we do during our photo shoot, and what do we need to bring with us? The answer to the first one is - do you have a favourite activity, or something you usually do when outside? No worries if not, or if every walk is a new adventure (our family walks are often like this, so I understand!). Here's a list of 5 simple activities and games for the beach that kids love (and adults too!), and that result in great natural photos. We did most of it during this family photo session on West Sands with little Noah and his baby brother. Most of these activities don't require any additional toys or equipment, which is great if you plan to walk and move around, and don't feel like dragging with you bags of toys and stuff. The few things I always have for a walk on the beach, and suggest to my clients are water, wipes and change of clothes. Treasure hunting Shells, rocks and sea glass are the obvious choice for this. Can also be funny-looking seaweed, sticks ...
5 reasons to include books and reading in your family photos If you are reading this, you are probably considering a family photo shoot. I know all the different concerns that my clients have before their session. And one of them is - what do we do, how do we get those images with genuine moments and real emotions? During my 7 years doing family photography I've discovered one activity that always works - it's reading books with your kids. There are so many good reasons why integrating books and reading into your lifestyle family photoshoot can bring a touch of magic, warmth, and togetherness, while capturing beautiful and candid moments along the way. Below I'll let you know the top 5. Let's get started! 1. Reading with your kids is great for those who might feel uncomfortable in front of the camera Because you do what you usually do - you sit down, take a book and read. You don't need to worry what to do with your hands - they are holding a book, or both the boo...
We went to Lade Braes, our urban forest, to enjoy autumn colors and bits of sunset through the trees, throw leaves and sticks in the river, and forage for forest treasures.
This story started in May and still goes on, as Masha is working on ballerina sculpture in her art class with Jaclyn Stuart. The children were learning about Alberto Giacometti and his sculptures, and made some of their own artwork with wire, tape and colors. Colors are still to come, as well as tutu - so to be continued
Last pieces of summer to go. It was rolling slowly under the hot summer sun, serene and calm, surrounded by green meadows and endless blue sky. The walk to the small river beach, refreshing coolness of water, the heat, the infecting lazy summer mood - it's all there.
Today's post is slightly different. Today it is not about my photos - it is about other photographers who inspire me and whose work I love so much. It's so many things that I love about their photos - candid approach, finding beautiful moments in everyday routine, beautiful details, their work with colours and editing, the way they capture emotions and little expressions that tell so much about the character of their kids. Here are some of my favourites, and links to their Instagram accounts for more inspiration. Laura Elizabeth Wood Megan Loeks Megann Robinson
Beautiful summer day, beautiful girl. Erin was a joy to photograph. Photographs are copyright of Julia Pagano Photography. Julia Pagano specializes in candid natural light photography of babies, toddlers and families, as well as children portraiture in St Andrews and Fife, as well as Dundee.
A personal project I've been working on these past weeks. It took a while to figure out the pattern and overall scheme, as I felt like experimenting and could not really settle on a specific model. I wanted something lacy for this simple linen yarn, and the pattern had to be simple enough that I could still read or watch documentaries with kids while knitting. The cardigan is for Maya, who was regularly coming to check my progress and to make sure it's really for her. Oh well :-) I've started the next project as well - in olive green, for autumn maybe, hopefully? I have some ideas for embroidered flowers in the front or around pockets, if I make pockets - should I? This one is also for Maya, and she also is not sure about the pocket issue. Let's see how it goes, and if my starting and never finishing knitting trend will remain true, or if any of these will actually be completed and get to be used. There are other knitting project ideas on my Pinterest board and ot...